Sunday, December 13, 2009

This has been a momentous week in the life of two "first-time" married renters. On thursday, Scott's birthday I took him to work and ran a few errands. When I came home, I walked by our kitchen windows on the way to the mailbox and I could see the light shining through a crack in the curtains. I walked down the stairs to the apartment as quietly as I could and the door was slightly ajar. If I had been smart I would have called 911. But, I eased the door open and peered in to see a strange man with his head under the kitchen sink. I assumed it was the landlord because I had seen a familiar car outside and we needed our sink fixed. He didn't introduce himself but just said he was trying to fix the sink. I didn't want to leave him there alone in our apartment so I changed my schedule to stick around. I was irked!! Scott was even more angry than I was, what if I had been in the shower or something!
Scott called the landloard and he was thoroughly uncooperative and said he'd "try to call first next time". So Scott looked up the law online and it's illegal to enter our apartment without 24 hours written notice! Scott emailed him and we haven't heard back but next time I'm calling the cops!!!
The adventures of being newly married never end!

3 comments:

  1. I know that maintenance staff enter our apartment throughout the day fairly often (they usually leave a note on the door handle when they are in our apt) and I always worry when I stay home or go to work late that I'll be in the shower or something when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you started a blog! (I also began one this year if you want to see it, amberandjonny.blogspot.com. It's not the most exciting blog, but it keeps people updated!)

    Anyways, Jonny and I were apartment managers for a few years when we were first married. Yes, it is illegal for them to do what they did! They needed to give you a 48 hr notice or have permission to enter. Even after giving a notice we would sometimes go into apartments to find people sleeping... a few times we scared people but a lot of times they just slept through all of the noise, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least you didn't have an insane landlord for 72 hours!

    ReplyDelete