Monday, August 16, 2010

Confessions of a closet baker!

I have always had an obsessions with baking that I tried to hide. BUT, no more! I WILL NOT HIDE MY PASSION!! I have done a lot of thinking and decided to open my own cake and cupcake business next year out of our house! I want to specialize in cut-up cakes like the ones I remember my mom making when I was growing up and cupcakes.


This snake cake was made last summer on the spur of the moment for my nephews birthday party and the boys all thought it was pretty cool. Not too bad for a beginner...

Over this past weekend my brother Jon and his wife Amy hosted a homemade root beer tasting party and so I took the opportunity to work on my cake skills.

I have to say that these cakes aren't the prettiest or the most perfect but I am pretty proud of them when I consider that I made them without any professional supplies(used sandwhich bags for piping words, table knife for frosting the cake) and no room in the freezer to freeze the cake before shaping it. There are, of course, things I would do differently next time, but overall I am pretty happy with it! I am super excited to start taking the Wilton cake classes and getting more experience and tools to improve my baking!
I have the most supportive husband who has given me the go ahead and wants to help me in any way he can, who could ask for more than that? Thanks Scott!!

3 comments:

  1. Okay those are pretty cool. If I am still living in SLC next year I will def. hire you to make Kyle's first birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. You are so cute. Remember our experimental cooking in G-town? I started making my famous pizza again. My roommate is addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite part in all of this is that you always make your amazing cakes for us :) You are seriously so talented! That snake cake was out of the blue and SOOOO awesome...best birthday ever :)

    ReplyDelete