Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thoughts for the universe

So, it's early and I'm still up after putting Abby down for Scott after he fed her. I would like to be sleeping but it seems best at times to stay up after she goes down because it doesn't usually take long for her to cry because her soothie has fallen out or something else is wrong in her tiny universe. If I go back to bed I will have just reached that almost asleep state where I get EXTREMELY cranky about having to get up with Abby again and I don't like the way it makes me feel toward my family.

So, the purpose of my post. I have come to realize that it is ok and probably even healthy for me to admit when I am struggling. I come from a family where admitting weakness and struggles isn't really done but I am trying to move past that. So, here goes:

I STRUGGLE WITH FEELNG REALLY DEPRESSED SINCE I'VE HAD ABIGAIL.

I thought for a long time that it was just the baby blues and that it would pass. And just when I would get to the point where I was thinking about asking for help I would have a couple of good days and think that things were going to be fine. This is me saying that it's okay to struggle. If you know me then you know how hard that is for me to admit to myself, to Scott or to even say out loud.

I have been struggling with feeling like I am inadequate at fulfilling my responsibilities as a wife, a new mother, a daughter of God and as the first counselor in the Young Womens Presidency. I have wondered how I could do any of these things when I could barely make it through the day without crying, manage to do at least one of the following: look presentable, have a fairly clean house, make meals, read the scripture, put in the time to have meaningful prayers, write down Abby's milestones, exercise, etc..

Today my visiting teacher (and YW's president) and I talked on the phone for a few minutes and the thoughts I have had about the baby blues perhaps being a little more serious than I thought were solidified. AND IT'S OKAY. I have to keep telling myself that. IT'S OKAY TO STRUGGLE AND IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I AM A BAD WIFE OR MOTHER OR ANYTHING ELSE. IT's just the way it is and perhaps I need to cut myself a little slack.

Phew! I just needed to put those thoughts out there in the universe and admit that I'm struggling. While I may never ask for help from people other than family (which is hard enough) just being able to "say" that I am struggling is a huge step for me.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you are struggling. i am stuggling too. Janye is a little trying for me compared to erinn and i'm kinda having a hard time with it. i hope tha thtings will get better for you. i will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew. It is huge to admit something like this.

    You know what I've discovered? Getting to the point where you can admit this is important and leads toward healing (not always the end to such challenges, but more peace and a better ability to deal with them).

    If there is one thing I wish I had learned earlier as a mother, this is it. I only recognize my own post-partum depression/early mothering struggles in hindsight.

    However, now I am better able to ask for help when I need it...

    Good luck. Continue to hang in there and find more strategies that will help you handle the joys and frustrations in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody, I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time!! Just know you're a fantastic mother and wife no matter what your depression makes you think. Keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I know how hard it can be, my daughter sounds a lot like yours! I know all babies are a lot of work - but some are INCREDIBLY demanding. I was depressed for a long time, just now (at 9 months) can I say things are better for me. I have felt a lot of guilt too, for not always loving motherhood the way I'd always thought I would.

    The good days come more and more often, till there are more good days than bad. One awful night(around 3am), amid Shayla's ear-piercing screams (thankfully there were captions, haha) I watched this video and it gave me hope when I needed it more than ever. It meant a lot to me, you may have seen it already.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nczw6xHJ0I

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you are able to share your feelings. I think a lot if women experience what you do but are afraid to talk about it. I know I felt similarly after getting married. I was surprised by my feelings but counseling helped a lot.

    One of my professors at SLU started a non-for-profit after her own experiences with post partum depression. They offer support services over the phone. The website is: http://www.mothertomothersupport.org/


    Good luck! You are awesome! I love you!

    ReplyDelete