Friday, September 21, 2012

Dick's Sporting Goods

Big fail for Dick's Sporting Goods this morning. they definitely didn't earn my business in the future.

 They had their grand opening celebration in Orem this morning. They advertised  that the first 100 people in the store at 8 am would get a gift card in varying denominations from $5 to $500. I didn't want to get up early to get there and get in line so I figured that if I woke up on time  I would head down and see how long the line was. When Abby and I arrived at 7:45 there were only about 35-40 people in line so we jumped in the back of the line. By 8 there were more people and we headed for the door. They checked ID to make sure everyone was over 18 and we got our gift cards. Everyone stood around inside the front door on their cell phones calling in to see how much their gift cards ended up being. Well........everyone got $5 gift cards. Abby pushed the stroller around the store for almost an hour, entering giveaways and comparing the store to other sports stores in the area.

We ended up getting something small for Scott's stocking for Christmas with our gift card. When we were checking out I asked the cashier about the gift cards and she admitted that she had seen one or two $10 cards but the rest had all been $5.

So, Dicks's almost exclusively gave out $5 gift cards, a couple of $10 cards and (supposedly) one $500 gift card. So much for the varying denominations! I understand that it's a marketing tactic to get people in the store but come on, they could have done better than that! I wasted my time, felt slightly deceived and combined with the fact that their store didn't seem any different from other similar stores in the area leads me to the conclusion that I won't be frequenting their store in the future.

1 comment: