Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Small moments

 Some of you may know that we have started unofficially potty training. Right now it's mostly just getting Abby used to the idea and then next week Abby and I will be housebound for several days while we try to do the real potty training. Somethings seem to be sinking in as Abby came to me yesterday to tell me that "baby" had a poopy diaper, She pulled off baby's diaper and took me into the bathroom and placed baby on the potty! She then pointed at baby and said, "baby treat!". After several unsuccessful attempts to feed baby the skittle that is Abby's reward for sitting on the potty(clothes or unclothed), Abby ate it herself and looked very proud of herself!

 This morning we walked to the library and read books together. Not too long after getting home I discovered this miracle in the living room. If you know Abby you know how active she is and how hard it can be to get her to sleep! This is the second time in her life that she has fallen asleep anywhere besides her bed, the carseat or someone's arms.


Abby is now tall enough and adept enough to open doors by herself! We discovered this a few days ago but she hadn't done much to alarm us until yesterday. Yesterday morning I ran out to drop a few things in the garbage can by the road before the garbage man came by and by the time I got inside again Abby had disappeared. I looked and looked and then I heard this little voice calling, "mommy, mommy?" She had opened the door that separates the stairs to the basement from the first floor and was sitting on the landing at the top calling my name because she thought I had disappeared into the basement. I was grateful she didn't attempt to go down the stairs because our basement stairs reflect the age in which our house was build and can be a bit treacherous. Thankfully we already had the plastic safety handles for the door handles and that was the first door to be "fixed". Hopefully we can keep her from wandering too far!

Her newest word is sorry. Every few sentences you hear, "sahwe, sahwe". She says it when she bumps into you, or the chair or anything else. When her food falls off her fork and onto her booster seat she leans down, looks under the table and says, "sahwe" to the food. Sometimes I think she says it just because it's a new word and must feel good to say as much of the time it isn't in context at all!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love these little things that kids do! It is so incredible how they copy everything! I love Abby!

    ReplyDelete